Good Coffee Doesn't Have To Cost The Earth
We love coffee…if you’re here then you probably love coffee too. Coffee with Conscience is our attempt to provide you with all the best coffee news, advice and product reviews so you can make the best choices and indulge your love of coffee, guilt-free.
Our FEATURED Lists
Coffee Facts & Trivia
If we’re honest, most of us probably take coffee for granted. We pour out a cup first thing in the morning or when we need a bit of a caffeine boost, but do we ever really give much thought to where our coffee came from, the incredible journey it’s been on before it lands in your mug, or any of the amazing and often mind-boggling coffee-related facts and figures? Probably not – but all that is about to change with our top coffee facts and related trivia!
So grab a mug of your favourite brew and prepare to develop a whole new appreciation for the humble cup of coffee.
- The word ‘coffee’ originates from ‘Qahweh’, which is the Arabic word for wine.
- It’s estimated 4 out 5 Americans start their day with a cup of coffee!
- The only commodity that is traded more than coffee is oil.
- It takes nearly 19,000 litres of water to produce a kilo of coffee beans, which means it takes about 130 litres of water to make your average cup of coffee.
- As much as one-third of the water used everyday in North America is used to brew coffee.
- In reverse order, the top coffee-producing countries in the world are Colombia, Vietnam, and Brazil, which produces about 40% of the worlds coffee beans.
- California is the only state in the US mainland that produces coffee, the only other US state that also produces coffee is Hawaii.
- There are two types of coffee beans, Arabica and Robusta, with Robusta beans typically containing about twice as much caffeine as Arabica.
- Coffee is called ‘cup of Joe’ after the former secretary of the Navy, Josephus Daniel, who banned the consumption of alcohol, leading to an increase in popularity of coffee amongst sailors, who started to disparagingly refer to it as a ‘cup of Joe’.
- As coffee ‘beans’ are actually the pit of the coffee cherry they’re therefore actually seeds.
- The average American consumes 11 pounds of coffee a year, which is nothing compared the the world’s biggest coffee drinkers, the Finns, with the average Finnish adult consuming 27.5 pounds a year!
- The first webcam was specifically invented so tech-geeks could check if their coffee pot was empty.
- Coffee was the first food to be freeze-dried, creating instant coffee.
- Drinking coffee in the 16th century Ottoman Empire could get you beheaded, as it was banned for its unusual stimulating effects.
Our ‘Best of 2021’ Lists
There’s nothing more disappointing than a bad cup of coffee, which is why we’ve taken the time to compile lists of some of the best coffee makers, machines, grinders and accessories available, so you can check out the best options for getting that perfect ‘Cup of Joe’.
Best Coffee Machines
Best Coffee Makers
Best Coffee Grinders
Best Coffee Beans
Latest COffee Advice & Info
The smell of freshly brewed coffee alone makes it a bit easier to wake up in the morning. With our lives busier than ever, taking the time to manually grind our own beans to prepare that first cup may require too much time and effort. Fortunately, grind and brew...
Whether it's what gets you out of bed in the morning, or what makes your workday more bearable - a good cup of coffee can go a long way. For this reason, it's really important to make sure you select the right bean-to-cup coffee machine - so you can be sure your...
If you’re a coffee connoisseur and have ever heard of Panama Geisha Coffee, but still not sure what all the hype is about, then this article is for you. We’ll be covering everything about this type of coffee, from its history, to why it commands such a premium price,...
When you hear the term 'Green Coffee' anyone not up to speed on their coffee beverage may be slightly confused as to what this refers to. While we're big fans of ecologically-sound coffee, in this instance, green coffee doesn't refer to organic coffee beans, or...
There is nothing like a cup of hot, strong coffee on a cold winter morning to warm you up and kick-start your brain, but what about the summer months? Iced coffee? It can be disappointing, especially if you crave that powerful hit of caffeine and love the rich flavour...
Given that he drank 40 cups of coffee a day, the ideal person to pose this question to would have been Voltaire (1694-1778), but since electricity did not exist at the time, his answer would be obvious. Are Manual Coffee Grinders Better Than Electric? As hard as...
For espresso lovers, there is nothing better than that first sip of the strong, dark elixir that signals that it is time to start your day. For others, it is the pick-me-up needed mid-morning to revive the energy for a big meeting or to get creative juices flowing....
Having coffee machines in your business has many advantages; Work productivity, staff, client satisfaction, it may in fact be your profit source as your main retail product. Choose Wisely Choosing Fairtrade, organic or Rainforest Alliance beans helps to ensure you...
Nothing compares to the first taste of coffee in the morning. It is a vital part of the morning routine for people all across the globe. We may prepare and drink it differently, but enjoying a steaming cup of coffee in the morning (or any time of day) is something...